I just read the BEST article on OneWed about how to control (and enjoy) children at your wedding.
Check it out: http://www.onewed.com/blog/show/children-at-weddings-planning-makes-perfect
Ideas for children attending weddings that have successfully executed for my bridey clients. And because it’s important for you to respect your guests and make sure they (and you!) have a great time, I thought I would share them with you.
- Hire entertainment for the children and place them in a room close by or where the cocktail reception takes place. It’s short money, and it’s a savior! Balloon makers, guitar players, face painters, etc. will distract the kids and allow them to have fun so that everybody else can too!
- As long as you are hiring entertainment, go the extra mile and hire a few babysitters. Most every city has a service that provides pre-screened, background-checked sitters. So find them, and use them! Their parents and your guests will love you for thinking of everything!
- Get creative with the children’s tables. Animal balloon centerpieces or lollipop flowers… Cupcake or cookie decorating (yes, at the table)… Make the kids WANT to sit still because they will have fun with the new and interesting things provided to them.
- (This one is optional) While all of the adults are enjoying dinner, the dance floor is empty and nobody has to pay attention to toasts or speeches, have the band or DJ invite the kids up for their very own special dance time. Not only will they love it, but they will feel special too.
- Provide a favor that will have the children anxious to leave so that they can go home (or back to their hotel room) and play with it. Wrap it up with instructions stating that they are not allowed to open it at the wedding! (But, make sure it’s a good one if you’re making big promises!)
Brideys, I know that some of you don’t want kids at your wedding, and are pressured to invite them, so hopefully these ideas will make them more invisible to you and your guests. Got it?